How to Join
1. Create or update your LinkedIn profile
2. Become a member of the Dons Helping Dons group.
3. Join the discussion! Post publicly on the discussion board or search for members by name, keyword or company
Tips & Best Practices
- Keep your profile up-to-date, complete with a professional photo
- Check the discussion board daily for new job opportunities
- Contribute and comment! Be an active group member
- Send direct messages to any member of the group
- Don’t just ask for a job! Ask for advice or an informational interview
Sending a message to a specific person:
Posting to the discussion board:
LinkedIn Networking Tips for Students and Recent Grads
Networking can be nerve-wracking. How do you introduce yourself to someone? When’s the right time to ask after job openings? What if they don’t respond? What if they stop responding?
Follow these simple guidelines and check out the resources below to navigate the world of online networking.
- Ask for information and advice—not a job! E.g., “I recently saw a job opening in your company. Would you look at my resume and give me a tip or two before I apply?”
- Be considerate and patient. If you don’t receive a response after two or three efforts, assume good intentions and find someone else to introduce yourself to.
- If you arrange a call or in-person meeting, be on time, be prepared, and be respectful and thankful.
- Pay it forward. Check the group newsfeed regularly and see how you can help your fellow Dons!
USF Career Services Center – Networking
How to Network on LinkedIn
20 Critical Dos and Don’ts of LinkedIn Networking
Customize Your LinkedIn URL
Career Services Center
Visit: UC 5th Floor